blog design

Saturday, June 2, 2012

Juicing Day 2 "The 5k"


Day 2
Today started a little earlier than I might have liked because I am doing the annual Sunburst 5k.  This 5k has created a lot of anxiety for me because I didn't know how my body would respond to the juice, let alone a 5k that I only do one time a year.  I woke up with plenty of time to get ready and really plan my juicing.  I decided to have a carb/sugar rich juice to give me energy and help me through the 5k.  I drank about 10oz so that I wouldn't be too full.  I drank plenty of water but I also began to worry myself about my constant urination that has been going on over the past 24 hours.  I really didn't want to have to go to the bathroom while I was running.  The Juice I decided to make was:

Three apples
One pear
1/2 a bushel of kale
One Lime
One lbs. Strawberry

Sunburst 5k

This juice tasted great and gave me an awesome boost of energy that I would have never received from my usual cereal or toast with sugary peanut butter.  I took a big bottle of water to the race but didn't bring my juice.  This day was more than just my 5k, it was also Mike Coble's first half-Marathon, Go Mike!  Also, Nicole Coble and her dad walked the 5k.  I made the mistake of not bringing my juice since I forgot that we would be staying after my race to see the Coble's cross the finish line.  This was not a good decision because I was tempted by all the delicious fruits and junk food, like Cheetos, that were all free at the finish line.

If I compare the race to last year I can say that is was very similar.  I felt strong, and I didn't walk.  I kept my head down going up the hill that never ends and I was really proud of what I accomplished.  I didn't meet my goal of being below 30 minutes but I did my best and finished in 31:10 which is a 10:03 average mile.

Once we got home I drank the rest of my morning juice and got ready for Britt and I's exciting day full of adventure.

Changing things up!

Britt and I came up with a couple good ideas for changing the way I think about the juicing experience.  My first idea is to make a awesome batch of lemonade that I can drink and feel like I am having a nice lemonade on a warm Saturday afternoon.  Britt came up with an idea to make Popsicle out of my favorite fruits which is awesome because they will be good for me and make me believe I am having something other than juice.

Cookout

Zach Schrock's High School Graduation was tonight and this was one graduation I was not looking forward to.  It was great seeing all our friends and wishing the best to the Schrock family but all the food was really difficult.  I made sure I drank plenty of my afternoon juice before I got there and I brought it along in case I had any cravings that couldn't be tamed.  I was able to talk to a few of my friend and let them know what I was doing.  It was great to have the support of my friends moving forward with this fast.

Other Options other than Juicing

Bryan and Tammy Weisweaver have helped me along my journey and I was interested to see how they felt about the fast.  They were excited for me but mentioned that they would love to have me over once I am done to try a smoothie that they make in their new blender.  The blender sounds awesome and really versatile.  For those of you that are thinking about a juice fast, please know that there are tons of other options.  The Juice fast made sense to me but if you want to do a fast by using a blender like the Weisweavers have you will get more nutrients out of everything you eat because the pulp, which the juicer throws out, has the majority of the nutrients.

Final thoughts on the big day

I am having cravings for things that I don't think I have ever had cravings for.  For example, I have never been a huge hot dog fan but last night at the cookout the smell of a hot dog had my mouth watering.  Also, since Britt and I had to drive down main st around lunch time and the restaurants had my mouth watering.  I have never smelled a Red Robin hamburger while driving by one until today and man did it smell good!  The days seem to be going fast and I can tell that God is holding my hand through this process.  Cheers to better health!

No comments:

Post a Comment