blog design

Friday, June 1, 2012

Leading up to the Juice Fast

Leading up to the Juice Fast:

While watching "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead" I decided that I was going to do a short Juice Fast.  I knew I needed to get a juicer before I could start but I am a fairly picky person.  I knew exactly what I wanted.  I wanted something with a decent size motor, leaves dry pulp and has a pitcher to go with it that receives the juice.  We went to 5 or so stores in the Michiana area and found juicers from $35-$250.  We didn't find any place that had what I was looking for so we went online.  Amazon was a great place for me to start because they have such a wide range of products.  I looked through the reviews and pictures of the products and narrowed it down to about 5 juicers.  After reading all their specs and reviews I knew the "Cuisinart CJE-1000 1000-Watt 5-Speed Juice Extractor" was the one for me.  Everywhere I looked it was about $150 until I went to overstock.com.  They had a refurbished one for $89 and Britt had a $20 off coupon which made it $69!  This seemed to be an awesome deal but only time would tell.

I started researching juicing more and found more than I could handle.  I went back to the documentary and found that they have a website www.jointhereboot.com.  This website will answer FAQ's in video's and even has the full-length documentary on their homepage!  Please feel free to look around their website but don't hesitate to look other places for inspiration and recipe ideas.

I finally got my juicer in on Thursday May 31st and it is awesome!  Britt and I went to the store and got about $70 worth of vegetables and fruits.  This was probably too much but I wanted a variety of produce so I could try as much stuff as possible!  If you want ideas for a shopping list please let me know and I will get you my shopping list.

We made our first batch of juice which was fruit heavy since I knew I would like that.  I knew if I drank to much of it I wouldn't be able to sleep but it was so good that I couldn't help myself!  I saved the rest in a bottle with a tight lid in the fridge for breakfast in the morning.  I quickly realized that even a small amount of fruit juice is a huge energy booster and I couldn't sleep.

The Juicer that I wanted proved to be perfect.  it came with a pitcher with a separator to keep all the pulp and texture stuff on one side and all the fresh juice on the other that will eventually go into your cup.  The juicer is also really easy to clean.  It comes apart in about 4 pieces and all I have to do is run it under the sink and let all the big stuff go down the garbage disposal.  Clean-up takes no more than 2-3 minutes which is perfect for me since I love to get every last minute of sleep in the morning.  I have found that making the juice one meal a head of time is great for me.  Juice fanatics will be quick to tell you that you get the most nutrients when you drink immediately after juicing.  I am in this for 10 days and I am going to do what I have to do to make it as easy as possible.

Here's to juicing and better health!

No comments:

Post a Comment